In 1875 John Lamb purchased the original Fort Street site
for the sum of 1,027 pounds.
In 1888, Auckland Roller Mills Ltd was incorporated and a year later was amalgamated with Firth's
first eight-hour Roller Mill.
In 1899 the company name was changed to the Northern Roller Milling Company, known today as
In the early days, the main objective of NRM was to manufacture flour from wheat. The wheat would
pass through a series of rollers and during this process of gradual reduction, flour is separated from
the by-products, bran and pollard, which were fed to stock. The first dedicated production of stock
feed took place in 1944.
In 1954 NRM installed its first press machine to make pelleted stock feed. As the popularity of pellets
grew, flour by-products gradually became a smaller part of the raw materials used in stock feed
manufacturing. Various grains, protein meals and vitamin and mineral premixes were added to
pelleted feeds to improve animal performance.
In 1992, NRM ceased association with the flour milling business and became solely a stock feed and
The past 120 years has seen an enormous amount of change in rural markets. NRM's ability to adapt
to these changes can be attributed to its history of manufacturing expertise, innovative quality
products and most of all, its relationship with its customers.